When it comes to job searches, things have changed significantly in recent years and, thanks to artificial intelligence (AI), there’s no sign that those things will slow down any time soon. If you want to compete, you have to respond to the new reality.
AI has the potential to streamline both the search process and the hiring process, taking over time-consuming tasks for humans. Now, job candidates not only have to get past human gatekeepers, but also AI screening. Here’s how:
- Adjust your resume or CV and cover letter to get through the AI gatekeepers. Use key words that are relevant for the position you’re seeking. Match the words you use with the terminology and keywords from the job posting. For instance, if the employer requests someone who knows AP, be sure to have AP (not accounts payable) on your resume and cover letter.
- Write like a human, with readable and grammatically correct copy. If you get past the AI screener, a human will still need to review your resume, and they won’t be impressed by your skills if your written communication is barely intelligible.
- Be prepared for automated interviews. Interviews conducted by AI bots will verify what you say during the interview, as well as how you say it. Your word choices, facial expressions, and body language will all be assessed.
- Have an online presence — a respectable one, of course. You could be at a disadvantage without one. Update your LinkedIn profile and, depending on the role you seek, a personal website for your job search might also be helpful.
- Be sure your contact information is public. This makes it easier for AI software and recruiters to contact you if they find you online. If all your online settings are private, you could miss out on job opportunities.
Get Help Navigating the Ethics of AI
According to a recent Korn Ferry Global survey, 63% of respondents said AI had altered the way recruiting happens in their organization. Is your organization following suit? For help applying the ethics of AI to your organization’s business, check out Artificial Intelligence and Ethics in Design. This top-notch training program features a variety of courses, including The Basis for No Bias, Transparency and Accountability for Robots and AI Systems, and Legal and Implementation Issues of Enterprise AI. It was created by leading experts in the field and designed for industry professionals. Connect with an IEEE Content Specialist to see if this program is a good fit for your organization.
Marr, Bernard. (18 Mar 2019). Job Search In The Age Of Artificial Intelligence – 5 Practical Tips. Forbes.
Rudder, Alana. (18 Apr 2019). The Future of Work is Now: AI Helps Job Hunters Find, Land, & Keep Dream Jobs. Towards Data Science.