As the Internet of Things (IoT) market continues to grow, so does the IoT job market demand for highly skilled engineers and other technical professionals that can develop and support the billions of devices predicted by 2020.
Lack of Skills for IoT Job Market
Unfortunately, however, Immersat Research Programme research shows that 47% of organizations completely lack IoT skills, and plan to outsource everything. This brings challenges too, however, as Gartner predicts that three fourths of IoT projects will take twice as long as they should due to lack of IoT talent. (Florentine, 2017)
Average Salaries for IoT Engineering Jobs
With an IoT job market that is growing exponentially, it’s a great time for engineers to develop the skills needed to compete in the IoT job market. Here are some of the most in-demand skills in the IoT job market for engineers, along with their average salaries:
- Machine Learning engineer – Average salary US: $128,549, India: Rs 900,000
- Big Data engineer – Average salary US: $90,286, UK: £28,190
- Node.js Senior Software engineer – Average salary US: $115,826, Saudi Arabia: SAR 110,006
- Data Scientist – Average salary US: $98,763, India: Rs 905,608
- Security engineer and Infrastructure Security engineer – Average salary US: $129,000, Canada: C$79,554
- Electrical engineers (embedded device development for mobile apps and RF/analog and microwave engineering for communications systems and GPS) – Average salary US: $92,283, Germany: €48,652
Develop Engineering Skills for the IoT Job Market
IEEE Continuing and Professional Education courses help you prepare for the hot IoT job market with an ever expanding collection of online courses that you can take any time, anywhere, on any device. Courses are taught by the world’s leading experts in these courses, so you can be sure that you get the essential skills needed for career growth.
New to the Internet of Things? Start with the IEEE Guide to the Internet of Things course program.
Ready to expand your skills? Explore our library that includes hundreds of hours of online education designed to help you advance in your career.
Invest in your success. Learn something new today.
Florentine, S. (2017, 21 Sept). 10 Most In-Demand Internet of Things Skills. CIO.
Salary Search (2017, 16 Oct). glassdoor.
Strauss, K. (2017, 25 Jan). Hot Jobs for 2017 — By Industry. Forbes.
No comments yet.